Hearing & Speech Testing
Hearing & Speech Tests at Plymouth Hearing Centre
We use the hearing test information and combined with the speech test data, we gain valuable insight and understanding of your hearing abilities. Your hearing healthcare is important to us so please expect to spend a little more time with us at your first consultation.
Our first step is to spend quality time with you and a loved one/family member to discuss any areas of concern. With your consent we will then:-
- Look in your ears with a video camera (video otoscopy) and discuss our findings.
- Perform a hearing test (audiometry) with extended high frequency testing as appropriate. The hearing test result will be explained clearly to you.
We will also perform a speech test to assess how well you are hearing in background noise. It is not uncommon for some clients to have good hearing but in the presence of background noise, understanding some conversations remains difficult. With your consent we will:-
- Perform speech-in-noise testing. This will enable us to identify the levels of difficulty you may experiencing in social situations and in back ground noise.
- Explain the results to you clearly.
- Use the speech test information to suggest the correct type of hearing technology used in the hearing aid.